STOP using your Shield immediately and head to the following link on Smith & Wesson's website:
They have given very clear instructions on how to inspect your M&P Shield to see if the alert applies to your gun.
Although my particular M&P Shield is NOT affected by this alert, it's extremely important to check your own M&P Shield and see whether or not it needs to be serviced.
VIDEO FROM SMITH & WESSON:
"M&P SHIELD Safety Alert and Inspection Prodedure"
INSPECTING YOUR PISTOL:
Your firearm must be inspected to determine whether it exhibits the condition identified in this notice. To determine whether your firearm is affected by this condition, please inspect your firearm as follows:
|1. Follow the procedures in your Safety & Instruction Manual to ENSURE THE FIREARM IS UNLOADED; ENSURE THAT THE MUZZLE IS POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION; THE SLIDE IS LOCKED BACK; AND THE MANUAL SAFETY IS ENGAGED. |
2. Hold your pistol sideways with the muzzle pointed to the left. Look at the trigger. Note that the trigger is actually two pieces, with a pin in the middle that connects the two halves (Figure 1).
3. Look at Figure 2. Without touching the trigger, identify the plastic tab circled in red in Figure 2.
4. Slowly pull the trigger. The plastic tab encircled in Figure 2 should disappear into the upper trigger section (Figure 3).
5. Slowly release the trigger. The tab should reappear as shown in Figure 2 completely on its own.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 several times. If the small tab as shown in Figure 2 reappears each time, your pistol does not require repair.
7. If the small tab does not consistently reappear as shown in Figure 2, YOUR PISTOL MUST BE RETURNED FOR SERVICE.
If you are uncomfortable conducting the inspection outlined above, or are unsure whether the condition described in this notice applies to your firearm, please take your firearm to your local M&P Certified Armorer or send your firearm to Smith & Wesson for inspection. M&P Armorers can be found on the Smith & Wesson website under Find a Dealer.
If after inspection it is determined that the condition outlined in this safety alert exists, the firearm must be sent to Smith & Wesson for repair.